Holding your special day at a Milwaukee wedding ceremony and reception venue is a matter of convenience and continuous beauty. Plus, it can minimize your wedding expenses and help keep you within budget.
But before you start looking for the perfect Milwaukee wedding ceremony and reception venue, we’ve compiled a list of tips to help you plan the perfect wedding ceremony and reception—and all in the same place:
- Don’t “overbuy” décor. One of the biggest perks of planning a ceremony and reception at the same place is that you can use décor items for the ceremony, cocktail hour, and reception.
- Always plan enough time for photos and mingling between the ceremony and reception. Typically, couples should plan 60-90 minutes between the ceremony and reception to allow for photos and mingling.
- Even when holding a wedding ceremony and reception at the same venue, always have two separate areas for the ceremony and reception. This allows your guests to seamlessly transition from the ceremony area to the reception without having to wait for staff to take down the ceremony chairs and items. (This also means you will need to find a Milwaukee wedding venue with enough space for both a ceremony and reception.)
- When setting up a wedding ceremony area, create a designated altar area. Consider elevating the altar or using creative seating arrangements so guests can see the entire ceremony.
How do I find a wedding ceremony and reception venue?
Choosing the right wedding ceremony and reception venue is easier—and harder—than finding two separate wedding venues. It’s easier because you only have to find one wedding venue, but harder because you have to find a venue with space for both parts of your wedding.
So how do you find the “one” that can accommodate every moment of your special day? Use this wedding venue checklist to make your decision easier.
Wedding Ceremony and Reception Venue Checklist
___ Space for guests (for both ceremony and reception)
___ Beautiful Photo Op Spots
___ Style (your wedding venue should fit your style as a couple, either elegant, historical, rustic, natural, etc.)
___ Convenient Parking (so guests don’t have to walk very far for the wedding)
___ Ceremony Area
___ Excellent location for aisle
___ Specialized area with another space for cocktail hour and reception (so guests don’t have to wait for staff to take down ceremony
___ Reception Area
___ Adequate space for dining
___ Dancing area
What questions should I ask my Milwaukee wedding reception and ceremony venue?
If you want to find out if a wedding venue is perfect for your special day (all of it!), contact a venue and ask these questions.
- Is your wedding venue available on my wedding date for the whole day? (If you don’t have an exact wedding date, ask about available dates in your favorite month or season. You can also use these tips to choose the right wedding date.)
- Do you have separate areas for the ceremony and reception? Will my guests have to wait for the ceremony to be taken down so they can mingle?
- Does your wedding venue hold more than one event on the same date? Will our wedding be the only event at the venue?
- How many guests does your venue accommodate?
- Do you have an hourly rate or a set rate? If a set rate, how many hours are included? Is there a charge for overtime if our wedding reception runs late? Does the rate allow for set-up and takedown?
- Does the venue include any staffing or services (i.e. coat check, bartenders, venue manager, etc.)?
- Is there a curfew?
- Do you have on-staff wedding planners? What is the rate for wedding planning?
- Does your venue require couples to use an in-house caterer or other vendors?
- What is your cancellation policy?
- Is there parking for my guests near the venue? What is the cost?
- Is your venue accessible for my guests with mobility issues?
- Are there local hotels and accommodations for my out-of-town guests? How far away are these businesses?
- Does the wedding venue carry liability insurance?