They say it takes a village to raise a child. When it comes to weddings, it takes a full line-up of our city’s best wedding vendors to make a special day happen—and be a beautiful one-of-a-kind occasion. Of course, the right line-up of wedding vendors is different for every couple, which is why we put together a guide to help you choose the best vendors for your special day.
Milwaukee Wedding Vendor List
Just like every couple is different, the exact line-up of wedding vendors is different for every wedding. To complicate matters, some wedding venues require couples to use a vendor or provide a list of wedding vendors to choose from. Other Milwaukee wedding venues have an open vendor policy that allows couples to bring in vendors of their choice.
Because of the difference in wedding venue policies, couples should first determine if there are any vendors they really want for their big day. (Also ask your fiancé these wedding planning questions.) If you have a favorite wedding vendor, look for a Milwaukee venue that allows that couples to bring vendors in (this wedding venue checklist can help with choosing the right wedding venue). Once the wedding venue is chosen, couples should contact this list of wedding vendors:
- Equipment Rental (for chairs, tables, tableware, etc. if venue or caterer does not provide)
- Wedding Planner (if desired, or choose a wedding venue with on-staff wedding planner)
- Bakery (if caterer does not make cake)
- Musicians (for ceremony)
- Band or DJ
- Wedding Invite Company
- Transportation (not needed if ceremony and reception are at the same venue)
How to Choose the Best Wedding Vendors
- Discuss your preferences for your special day with your fiancé, including any vendors you really want for your special day. (Use this list of wedding planning questions to help with your conversation.)
- Organize your wedding planning. Use a wedding planning checklist (and these wedding planning printables) or wedding planning app to help you meet deadlines. Always contact wedding planners earlier rather than later; procrastinators miss out on the best Milwaukee wedding vendors.
- Always research wedding vendors before hiring them. Ask friends and family (or a wedding venue planner) for recommendations for quality wedding vendors or research wedding vendors online to ensure you are contacting reputable wedding vendors. Be cautious about hiring wedding vendors without a business address or phone number, or that have a poor online rating.
- Meet in-person or virtually with wedding vendors. Always review the vendors’ contract carefully before signing on the dotted line.
Questions to Ask a Wedding Vendor
The exact questions may differ, depending on the wedding vendor. In general, ask each wedding vendor these questions:
- Are you available on our wedding day?
- What is included in your services? (Some vendors offer package deals, and services and staffing often vary among vendors.)
- How long have you been in business? Can you provide references or proof of experience?
- Does the cost include set-up and take-down? (This question applies to equipment vendors.)
- Do you carry insurance?
- What event attire do staff wear to weddings? (This question applies if vendors are attending the wedding day.)
- Do you provide a back-up plan in case of an emergency?
- What is your rate? Are there any additional fees (i.e. overtime fees, travel costs, etc.) I need to pay? What is the final cost?
- How much is the deposit? What is your payment policy? When is the deposit due? (Be cautious about hiring vendors that ask for full payment up front.)
- What is your cancellation policy?
- When can we meet? Can we meet virtually?